Motor vehicle collisions are one of the primary causes of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and severe mental health conditions globally. Millions of road accidents occur around the world every day.
Car accidents in Atlanta are a major concern, around 34,446 car accidents were reported in 2019. During the lockdown year 2020, 21,478 auto accidents were still reported. That’s a staggeringly high number for a city that’s home to less than 500,000 people.
It is often seen that car accident survivors relive their accident through flashbacks and nightmares which can cause disrupted sleep. Your physical body might receive minimal or no injury, but your emotional state can be busted. This can trigger psychological issues like stress, anxiety, panic attacks, shock, mood swings, fear, and depression
This article will talk about the physiological stress one could face after a road accident.
Symptoms of emotional distress after a car accident
Common symptoms of physiological stress one can experience after a road accident are:
- An anxiety disorder called Vehophobia experienced after a car accident
- Inability to enjoy everyday activities
- Withdrawal from social events
- Disrupted sleep and nightmares
- Mood swings ranging from anger to frustration to guilt
- Avoiding medical tests or procedures
People sometimes develop a fear of driving or being in the passenger seat. This fear is because of the thought of being involved in another accident.
Ways to cope with post-traumatic stress disorder
There is a path to improve your mental well-being post car accidents. Here are some tips that will help you cope with the unwanted feelings:
- Take help from our friends and family, they are your well-wishers, and they will give you the best advice. Hence, talk to them about the accidents, mention all the details and thoughts, and tell them how you felt during the accident and how you acted post the accident. This will make you relieve the accident with support sitting right next to you.
- Indulge yourself in some physical activity and do not bother about the injury. Your doctor will tell you about the precautions you are supposed to maintain
- Get back on the street, don’t let your fear get in the way of driving. Start driving again but learn to be a defensive driver. This will lower the future risk of accidents and injuries. Learn to drive carefully, wear your seatbelt, avoid distractions, and don’t indulge in activities like using your phone, eating, or texting while driving.
- File your insurance claim that will cover a part of your medical bills and related expenses. You can click here to learn more about the process.
Get your rightful compensation
If the accident has occurred due to the negligence of some other person, driver, or company. You must look for compensation. You can hire an Atlanta Personal Injury Attorney, as they will help you with the compensation and insurance claims. Injury lawyers have experience, skill, and knowledge regarding such matters and can help you file the injury claims on your behalf.
They can negotiate with the insurance company and the offender. They can help you get better insurance claims and settlements. A personal injury lawyer can provide you with legal coverage, guide you in making better decisions and help you get faster compensation.
There is no compensation for the emotional trauma you faced post the accident, but filling a lawsuit will help you cover your medical expenses and give you’re the satisfaction of you not being at fault. Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder can take time to heal, and it is crucial to consult a medical health counsellor. A counsellor will guide you throughout the healing process and prevent your mental health from declining.
*Do connect with me on Instagram at @KiranSinghUK for behind the scenes, daily updates, inspiration and more!