Most people only think about pests when they’re already dealing with an infestation. But if you’re house hunting, you must be looking for signs of pests to avoid bringing any home with you.
There are a few things that you can do to help you look for pests when you are house hunting. First, inspect the entire property, both inside and outside. Pay close attention to cracks and crevices, as these are common places for pests to hide.
Here are 10 signs to look for:
- Droppings: Look for small, dark droppings in corners, under appliances, or in other dark places. These could be from mice, rats, cockroaches, or other pests.
- Gnaw marks: Mice and rats often gnaw on wood to sharpen their teeth. This can leave telltale marks that are easy to spot.
- Nests: If you see a nest of any kind, it’s a good indication of pests nearby. Wasps, bees, hornets, and even some rodents build nests.
- Dead insects: Dead insects near windows or doors could mean an infestation inside the home.
- Shed skin: Snakes and lizards will shed their skin as they grow. If you find shed skin around the house, it’s a good sign that there are pests present.
- Strange smells: A musty or earthy smell could indicate rats or mice in the area. Cockroaches also produce a distinct smell.
- Sounds: Pests like rodents and cockroaches are often most active at night. If you hear scratching, scurrying, or other strange noises from inside the walls or ceilings, it’s a good sign that pests are present.
- Damage: Chewed wires, gnawed wood, or holes in walls or floors can all be signs of an infestation.
- Stains: Grease or urine stains on walls or floors could be from rodents. Cockroaches can also leave brown or black stains.
- Sightings: Seeing a pest is a sure sign of an infestation. If you see one, chances are there are much more hiding nearby.
Suppose you see any of these signs while house hunting; be sure to have the home inspected by a professional. When you hire Terminix pest control, professionals you can rest assured that your pest problem will be taken care of promptly and efficiently.
Pest control companies have the experience and knowledge to safely and effectively eliminate pests. In addition, pest control companies use state-of-the-art equipment and products to quickly and effectively eliminate pests.
Why is it important to do so?
Pest infestations can be difficult and expensive. So it’s best to avoid them altogether if possible as they can cause a great deal of damage to your home or business and pose severe health risks such as :
- Health Risks – Pests can also pose a health risk to you and your family as they can carry diseases. This is particularly true of rodents carrying diseases like hantavirus and plague.
- Allergies – Some people are allergic to the droppings or urine of certain pests, such as cockroaches, mice, and rats. These allergies can cause respiratory problems and other symptoms that can be serious.
- Fire Hazard – Some pests, such as cockroaches, mice, and rats, can gnaw on electrical wires, creating a fire hazard.
- Stress – Dealing with a pest infestation can be stressful and affect your mental and emotional health. If you are dealing with an infestation, it is crucial to contact a pest control professional to have the problem taken care of so that you can focus on more important things.
While looking for pests is important, it is also important to remember that not all homes will be free of pests. Even the cleanest and most well-maintained homes can fall victim to an infestation. If you do find pests in your new home, there are a few things that you can do to get rid of them:
- Try to identify the source of the problem and eliminate it. This may mean fixing a leaky pipe or sealing a crack in the foundation.
- Make sure to keep your home clean and free of clutter to help prevent future infestations
Looking for pests is an important part of house hunting because they can seriously threaten your and your family’s health. Pest infestations can be difficult and expensive to deal with, so it’s essential to be aware of the signs of an infestation.
If you see any telltale signs of pests, be sure to have the home inspected by a professional. Taking these precautions will help you avoid the hassle and expense of dealing with an infestation.