A couple of days ago I was downloading various inspirational podcasts for my iPod to listen to while I am working out, going for a walk, travelling and for those times I need a little ‘pick-me-up’. The first one I listened to today (call it coincidence or whatever), was a podcast by Lewis Howes where he interviews Tracey McMillan about relationships.
I could so relate to her message (especially being divorced myself) on self-love, self-care and self-acceptance, be your authentic self, be at peace, happy and content with yourself and the importance of gratitude and forgiveness.
“The most challenging and significant relationship of all is the one you have with yourself. And if you find someone to love the you that YOU love, well, that’s just fabulous.” ~ Carrie Bradshaw
We got back in touch in 2011 – hadn’t spoken to him since Summer 2001, and met him Spring 2011 – hadn’t seen him since Winter 1998 when we first met. It was very awkward to talk when we first got back in touch, so many unresolved issues. So many questions that needed answers, endless of emotions, tears and frustration – but over the past 7 years, we have both grown an understanding of each others’ feelings, circumstances, the way of thinking and each other’s boundaries – we decided to stay friends until September last year when I decided to let him go once and for all. As I turned 40 (2017), I decided that I didn’t want any of my past relationships in my ‘new’ life – I needed to make space for someone new and I couldn’t do so unless I had cleared my ‘old baggage’ which I did and honestly speaking; I am so glad I did!
As you may know, I am a big fan of ‘Sex and the City‘ and there’s a dialogue that I have stayed me since I first time watched that episode (I don’t remember the exact words, but I hope you understand the message I am trying to convey):
“Instead of looking for your ‘Knight in shining armour’ to come and save you and make you feel complete, why not become your own ‘Knight’ and save yourself? And treat Men who enters our lives as gorgeous beings and a bonus.”
My Top Tips for taking charge:
- Practice Self-Love & Self-Care daily – because your life depends on it
- Make the ‘Don’t give up’ attitude your best friend
- Create a vision board
- Set realistic goals
- Plan your Ideal Day where you’ve scheduled at least 2-3 activities/things that make you happy
- Learn to differentiate between your Intuition and Ego – TRUST your INTUITION and IGNORE your EGO
- Be mindful of how you talk and treat to yourself; Talk and treat yourself like your life depends on it – because it does!
- Accept yourself completely – flaws and all – that’s what makes you unique 🙂
- Be true to yourself – your authentic self
- Discover your core values and core desired feelings
“The best day of your life is the one on which you decide your life is your own. No apologies or excuses. No one to lean on, rely on, or blame. The gift is yours – it is an amazing journey – and you alone are responsible for the quality of it. This is the day your life really begins.”