If you find yourself waking up exhausted most mornings, your body may be trying to tell you something. These power-packed foods — from bee pollen to bananas — can help take you from sleepy to supercharged!
There’s nothing better than setting yourself up for a new day with some energy-boosting (and delicious) foods! ???Science and research show that these foods will help you start your day feeling fresh, no coffee needed.
Try these 4 tips for creating your own energy-boosting breakfast:
- Choose whole grains. High-fiber, whole-grain cereals and bread can help keep your blood sugar on an even keel and avoid a midmorning energy crash. With the hundreds of types of cereal on the market, bran cereal, bran flakes, and steel-cut oatmeal are typically the healthiest bets. To choose the healthiest breakfast cereal, read the label and look for:
- 5 grams or more of fibre per serving
- less than 300 milligrams of sodium per serving
- less than 5 grams of sugar per serving
- whole grain as the first item on the ingredient list.
- Include protein. Yoghurt is a good choice; Greek yoghurt has more protein than regular yoghurt. Eggs (up to one a day) are okay for healthy people. Although yolks are high in cholesterol, eggs have proteins, vitamins, and other nutrients and don’t appear to increase the risk of developing heart disease. You might also include foods that have healthful fats such as those in nuts or salmon. Limit processed meats to the occasional treat as these foods are associated with a higher risk of colorectal cancer, heart disease, and type 2 diabetes.
- Eat-in, not out. You can enjoy a healthful breakfast out if you stick to oatmeal. But much of the traditional fare will start your day with loads of refined carbohydrates and saturated fat. Like most processed food, the breakfast offerings from fast-food chains tend to be high-sodium, low-fibre disasters.
- Blend up a breakfast smoothie. Combine fruit, juice, yogurt, wheat germ, tofu, and other ingredients. Toss them in your blender with a bit of ice and you have a refreshing, high energy breakfast.