Knowing your Signature Style and having a capsule wardrobe with clothes that reflect that style will make you look and feel your best. It is a very powerful tool to possess. Finding your Signature Style and Cultivating a Capsule Wardrobe for each season is an ongoing journey due to lives and bodies changing, but I promise you; it’s worth your full attention.
Last year, while doing some research on how to organise small wardrobes, I discovered the concept of Capsule Wardrobe; a collection of a few essential items of clothing that don’t go out of fashion, such as skirts, trousers, and coats, which can then be paired with seasonal pieces.
The guidelines are simple:
- Have quality basics across all categories of clothing, and let go of pieces that you don’t wear or love. Buy new staples to fill any gaps you may find – and remember, quality over quantity.
- Limit your new purchases to five non-basic items per season to refresh your look and add personality.
A basic item is something that…
1. You can wear this over and over and over again until it falls apart
2. Goes with everything I already own
3. You pretty much can’t live without it
4. Is the glue that helps you keep the rest of your wardrobe together
5. Is made of a good material that will last for a very long time
Capsule Wardrobe Staples:
- Silk Blouse
- White Button Down
- Black Dress
- Boyfriend Blazer
- Cashmere Sweater
- 3 T-shirts: Black, White & Gray
- 3 Tank-tops: Black, White & Gray
- Trench Coat
- Black Suit
- Seasonal Coat
- Black Trouser
- Skinny Jeans
- Boyfriend Jeans
- Trouser Jeans
- Leather Trouser
- Black Skirt
- Black Shorts
- Black Stilettos
- Mid-heel Ankle Boot
- Classic Flats
- Summer Sandals
*Do connect with me on Instagram at @DesignTheLifestyleYouDesire for behind the scenes, daily updates, inspiration and more!