Let’s take an ordinary day in your life when nothing feels particularly terrible or wonderful.
- You wake up and… How do you greet this day?
- Is this a perfect day or 24 hours of hassle?
- Is your life a precious gift or are you just struggling to survive?
Believe it or not, you can choose the quality of your experiences: it’s not what happens to you that counts but rather how you deal with what happens to you. #FREE ‘Morning Ritual Checklist‘ below.
“What you do today is important because you are exchanging a day of your life for it.”
The morning routine sets the tone of your day. No matter how shitty yesterday was or how much you have to do today, the morning ritual is your daily constant— your totally 100% selfish ritual. It’s the time that you allocate towards yourself, everyday, no matter what. It keeps you sane.
I never realised the importance of having a morning ritual until a couple of years ago. I came across Robin Sharma’s ‘How to wake up early‘ while doing research on creating a powerful morning routine. After watching the video, I joined the ‘5AM Club’. I must admit that it worked, and I felt really good and had productive days – but the thought of waking up at 5 o’clock – especially during winter months were hard, BUT what I have learnt over the last couple of years is this:
My (current) morning routine is:
- I wake up between 5-6AM (depending on how I feel)
- I drink a glass of my morning elixir (recipe below)
- I either go for a run or do yoga with Asana Rebel
- I do some journaling
- I listen to an inspirational podcast or watch something inspiring
- I plan and visualise my day
- I indulge in healthy and nourishing breakfast
Your morning routine should evolve and change. If something isn’t working, change it. Don’t latch on just because someone else is doing it.
Build your own morning ritual
So, here’s how you get started – pick 4 habits (from the list below) and start them tomorrow. Yes, just 4. You can add more in later, but it’s best to start small. Pick the ones that resonate with you the most. Do them every morning immediately after you wake up for the next 30 days.
Morning Habits suggestions
- Wake up earlier than you would normally do
- Drink a tall glass of water as soon as you get out of bed (keep a glass of water on your night table so when you wake up, simply grab it and drink)
- Make your bed immediately (I febreeze my bed and bedding daily – made my own febreeze spray by mixing water and fabric softener in a spray bottle)
- Do some exercise; Yoga, running etc.
- Eat a protein and fat rich breakfast within 1 hour of getting up – don’t forget your vitamins
- Take your multivitamins everyday
- Floss after breakfast
- Do some journaling
- Do some meditation
- Plan your entire day in 15-60 minute increments
- Lay out your clothes for the day
- Dress your absolute best for the day (EVEN if you work from home)
Download my #Free Morning Ritual Checklist below.
- 1/2 squeezed lemon
- 1/4-1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp honey
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 cup warm water