A warming winter pot of tender organic beef and sweet squash, gently cooked with mild spices and our deliciously rich cherry tomato passata. Served with zingy, emerald-flecked couscous. Recipe by Abel & Cole.
- 1 butternut squash
- 2 red onions
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 250g beef stir fry strips
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 330ml cherry tomato passata
- 150g couscous
- 50g baby leaf spinach
- 1 lemon
- 500ml boiling water
- Trim the top and bottom off the squash and slice it in half (you can leave the skin on for this recipe, but peel the squash if you prefer). Scoop out the seeds with a spoon, and cut the flesh into 1–2cm chunks. Peel the red onions and thinly slice them. Peel the garlic cloves and crush or finely chop.
- Pour 1 tbsp oil into a large pan and bring to a high heat. Sprinkle a little salt and pepper over the beef strips and add them to the pan. Fry for 5 mins, turning once or twice, till browned. Scoop out of the pan onto a side plate.
- Reduce the heat under the pan to medium and slide in the onions. Fry for 3-4 mins, then stir in the chopped garlic, along with 1 tsp each turmeric and cumin, and the cinnamon stick. Cook for a further 1 min.
- Tumble in the squash into the pan and pour in the passata. Stir in 200ml boiling water. Add the beef and any juices from the plate back into the pan and stir everything well. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover the pan with a lid (or use a baking tray) and simmer for 30 mins, till the squash and beef are tender.
- Meanwhile, pour the couscous into a large bowl and add a pinch of salt. Pour over 300ml boiling water. Top the bowl with a plate, and set aside to soak for 15 mins. Finely chop the spinach leaves.
- Finely grate the lemon zest and set aside. Use a fork to fluff up the cooked couscous and squeeze in the lemon juice. Pour in 1 tbsp oil and sprinkle in a little salt and pepper. Tip the spinach leaves into the couscous and stir well to combine.
- Pile the couscous into bowls and spoon generous amounts of the stew on the side. Top with the lemon zest and serve.
*Do connect with me on Instagram at @DesignTheLifestyleYouDesire for behind the scenes, daily updates, inspiration and more!