The knee is a crucial joint of the body. It determines the movement of the leg to facilitate motion. Knee joint pain can be troublesome. However, some causes of knee pain are age-dependent, but it can happen to anyone in any age group due to varying reasons. If you are facing a knee pain issue, always seek professional help at the earliest. Let’s see some common causes of knee pain.
It can include sprain, fracture, tear etc. A knee fracture can be the result of an unfortunate car accident or sports injury. As mentioned here, iconmedicalcenters.com/clinica-de-accidentes-cerca-de-mi/?lang=es, this is quite painful and requires immediate medical attention to avoid chances of any future complications. Another fall-related injury is Meniscus injury. Menisci are the shock absorbers between the bones of the knee and are made from cartilage. It’s mostly injured due to twisting of the knee caused by any trauma.
The common knee injuries associated with sportsmen are ligament injuries or ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) injuries. These ligaments are generally located at the centre of the knee and control the rotation and various movements. Over-stressing the knee can cause damage to the ligaments hence resulting in injury and knee pain.
The dislocation of the knee occurs when the bones are forced to move off from their position due to external trauma. Dislocation of the knee is serious as they affect the other systems of the body, too, including circulation and the nervous system. The sooner the treatment is done, the less impact the leg goes through
A dislocated kneecap is another form of dislocation where the knee cap bone slips out of its position. This can happen due to sudden movements or a blow to the knee.
Different types of arthritis can cause serious knee pain and difficulties. Rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune condition that causes soreness and inflammation of the joints. If these are not treated at the earliest, it can even lead to disability.
Septic arthritis is a form of arthritis that causes infection in the joints, leading to swelling up, pain, and fever. It can be caused due to various reasons.
An osteoarthritis is a form of arthritis where the protective tissue at the ends of the bone starts to wear down, causing pain and discomfort. It is quite common in elderly people due to ageing.
These are associated with the tendons swelling up due to repetitive actions, leading to pain and discomfort. It can be the result of an injury or due to certain diseases too. It is important to treat them as early as possible.
Patellofemoral pain syndrome
It is a type of knee pain that occurs at the front of the knee or around the kneecap. It’s also called “runner’s knee” as it’s quite common among people who are involved in sports. It occurs due to overuse or injury to the knees.
Osgood- Schlatter disease is commonly seen in children who are in their growth spurt or active in sports. It causes swelling and pain below the kneecap. Due to the discomfort, it leads to limping and restricts certain movements too.
Symptoms that accompany knee pain
- Limping due to inability to balance the weight of the body
- Swelling around the knee
- Inability to bend or stretch knees
- Walking up or down the stairs can become difficult.
How to manage knee pain
Knee pain can be excruciating, but important to manage it before it becomes worse.
- Provide your knee rest and try to avoid overtraining it
- Practice exercises for your knee, this help to improve the movements of the joint ( if you are unsure of what type of exercises to do, do consult a professional to avoid mistakes)
- The use of ice packs can help to reduce the pain and also the swelling
- To restrict the movement for healing, use bandages or sleeves, which can help you keep your knee in place and provide time for healing
- Consult an orthopedic knee surgeon if the medications are not working. They will look into it and advise whether you need surgery or not.
- Certain medications like Kratom capsules by Kratom.org can be helpful in dealing with pain and can bring some relief. But always consult a doctor and only take medications as prescribed by them. Make sure to complete the medical course as advised. Skipping your regimes can really affect the effectiveness of the treatment.
Knee Pain can be caused by many reasons, but the important thing to always do is get the right treatment at the right time. Small issues, if delayed, can cost you something more valuable. Always maintain a proper healthy diet and try to avoid straining or getting injured at the most. Take care of yourself.
*Do connect with me on Instagram at @KiranSinghUK for behind the scenes, daily updates, inspiration and more!